Dog meets glue – It comes to a sticky end

Lake, via Midtown Vets and KFOR Oklahoma City

Lake, via Midtown Vets and KFOR Oklahoma City

Lake, a 6-month-old Weimaraner, is curious like any puppy. Unfortunately, it got her into a sticky situation.

Lane was nosing around and found some sweet smelling Gorilla Glue that had been left out after a home project. She swallowed a couple drops before her pet parents realized what was happening.

Within a day, it was clear something was wrong. The Gorilla Glue in Lane’s gut had started to grow as it came into contact with stomach fluid. By the time Lane got to a vet, the few drops of glue she’d consumed had grown into a glob the size of a turkey leg. Surgery ensued.

Hardened Gorilla Glue taken from Lake's stomach Via KFOR Oklahoma City

Hardened Gorilla Glue taken from Lake’s stomach Via KFOR Oklahoma City

Dr. Leonardo Baez at Midtown Vets in Oklahoma City removed the hardened mass, which was in the shape of Lane’s stomach. Read more from Oklahoma City KFOR and watch a video and see how hard it was.

Apparently, this isn’t the only encounter between dogs and polyurethane glue, like the Gorilla brand. Dogs love the sweet taste. It has occured so often that a group of veterinarians made a video showing what happens.

Polyurethane glue also goes by brand names like Probond®, Titebond® and Ultimate Polurethane Glue®.  They’re all water-activated and start to expand as soon as a pup swallows some. This can prevent a dog from vomiting it up. If a pet parent doesn’t realize a pup has swallowed glue, it can be difficult to diagnose until the abdomen becomes distended and painful. Waiting too long can be fatal.

An X-ray of the glue glob in Lake's stomach via Midtown Vets and KFOR Oklahoma City

An X-ray of the glue glob in Lake’s stomach via Midtown Vets and KFOR Oklahoma City

According to the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), cases of polyurethane glue ingestion have increased by more than 740% since 2002.

Signs of ingestion include loss of appetite, restlessness, difficulty breathing or a change in behavior. These could be symptoms of other things as well. Signs generally develop within 15 minutes, but can occur up to 20 hours following ingestion.

The best approach is prevention. Keep glues in a place that no canine can crack.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.